Menopause is an important time of life for women. If done well it can be a productive, safe and experience, if done improperly it can be dangerous and lead to debilitating illnesses and problems. Come here about a simple Holistic for transforming menopause from a disaster to a walk in the park. Learn about prevention, simple treatments, Hormone Replacement Therapy, reducing and eliminating nearly all of the problems often associated with going through the menopause. Learn about the complications and risks and the natural treatments available.
What Is Menopause?
The cessation of menstruation and fertility usually occurring at or around 50 years of age. It often comes, but not always with a number of potential symptoms:
- Hot Flashes, Flushing and Night Sweats
- Vaginal Dryness (Vaginal Atrophy)
- Insomnia and Other Problems Sleeping
- Mood swings: Anxiety/Depression
- Osteoporosis, softening of bones and increased risk of unnecessary bone fractures
- Increased risk of breast and other types of cancers
- High Blood Pressure, Heart Attack and Stroke risks are increased when bio-identical treatment is not used.
- Loss of libido, interest and ability to perform sexually, loss of orgasm and ability to be aroused
- Relationship problems which can, and often do, lead to arguments, anger and even divorce
- Premature aging, skin changes, metabolic disorders, self-image issues, reduced life span
Use Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Use female Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (commonly referred to either as HRT or as BI-HRT). Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy replaces the loss of your female sex hormones, the exact same female hormones as your body used to make on its own. Use oral bio-identical hormone replacement therapy as they reduce the risk of breast and other cancers, blood clotting and most risks associated with synthetic or non-human female hormone replacement therapy. While there are a number of reasons to use hormone replacement creams, patches, vaginal jells and transdermal pellets, oral compounded HRT is the only form of estrogen which actually acts to reduce your risk for breast and other types of cancers.
- BI-HRT reduces your risk of elevated blood pressure, heart attack and stoke when used incorrect dosages and monitored appropriately.
- Since BI-HRT are chemically the exact same estrogen hormone your own body makes bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is in fact a natural treatment.
Things Your Definitely Should Avoid Doing
- Do not use synthetic or non-human, non-bio-identical female hormone replacement such as Premarin and Provera as these hormones increase your risk of breast and other types of cancers, blood clots and a host of risks usually associated with them.
- Medical doctors may offer antidepressant or epilepsy medicines. These medications treat symptoms of menopause without treating the causes of menopause and hence have risks with few benefits as bio-identical female replacement hormones treat the cause and cause few risk and negative side effects. This would be a last resort trial if nothing else, that is, your doctor does not offer bio-identical hormone placement therapy, works.
- Clearly since these treatment are synthetic and have absolutely nothing to do with your human body, they are not natural forms of treatment and they have both long and short term negative side effects that should be avoided.
If You Are Not Yet Using Bio-Identical Hormone Therapy and You Have the Following Problems:
Treating Hot Flashes, Flushing and Night Sweats
- The holistic and herbal approach to menopause is generally meant to treat the symptoms of menopause but not the cause loss and or reduction of female hormones. Once again we are treating symptoms and not cause. Herbal medications can and do treat the mental and emotional side of the woman who is suffering from out of control symptoms of menopause and this can be life changing as these negative symptom can affect virtually all aspects of a woman’s mental and emotional stability.
- A holistic or herbal approach to treating these menopausal symptom might include using herbs, individually or in combination, such as: Ginseng, Black Cohash, Chickweed, Hawthorn Berries, Dandelion, Dong Quai and/or Licorice Root
- Avoid eating or drinking hot or spicy foods, alcohol, foods containing caffeine, when they are feeling stressed, when they are in a hot place or on occasion doing nothing at all that seems to bring them on.
- Once again it is vital to remember that while treating with herbal medication can be incredibly helpful they do not eliminate the cause of the woman’s problems, loss of female hormones, and hence ultimately do not protect against the long term issues such as aging, and prevention of chronic diseases, cancers or fractures.
Other Easy Things To Do
- Dress in layers
- Keep a fan in your home or workplace
Vaginal Dryness (Vaginal Atrophy)
- Water‑based, over‑the‑counter vaginal lubricant (such as K‑Y Jelly)
- Vaginal moisturizer
- Herbal preparation as above
- Bio‑Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy, patches, hormone vaginal rings are alternative choices
Insomnia and Other Problems Sleeping
- Melatonin and DHEA
- A number of herbal preparations
- Sleep hygiene
- Avoid large meals, smoking, and working right before bedtime.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol from afternoon on.
- Drinking something warm before bedtime, such as herbal tea (no caffeine) or warm milk as these might help you to feel sleepy.
- Keep your bedroom dark, quiet, and cool, and use your bedroom only for sleeping and sex.
- Avoid napping during the day, and try to go to bed and get up at the same times every day.
- Herbal and mineral product such as Dong qui, magnesium, Skullcap added to a cup of tea, Chasteberry or Passion Flower beverage. Other ingredients used to fight anxiety are cat nip and peppermint tea.
- Anxiety is simply unresolved stress
- Bio-identical hormones
- Depression: St. John’s Wort, Ginkgo Biloba, Siberian Ginseng, Rose, Lavender and Sandalwood. The amino acids S‑adenosylmethionine (SAM‑E) and5‑Hydroxytryptophan (5‑HTP) are also know to help.
Trouble Focusing, Foggy or Fuzzy Thinking, or Forgetfulness
- This is a common problem associated with low female sex hormones and is often also associated with anxiety and/or depression
- Bio-Identical Hormones are the very best way to eliminate this problem
Prevention of Osteoporosis
- Add foods and supplements containing calcium and magnesium as well as supplements containing strontium, vanadium, boron to your daily diet
- Exercise regularly, walk 30 minutes a day and lift weights 5 to 20 pound bar bell, pilates, yoga
- Consider Bisphosphonates, there are however, risks that you should consider and know about
- Injectable Reclast, Forteo once again risks that you should consider and know about
- Don’t forget the basics:
- Get a yearly Mammography
- Yearly Bone Density Screening
- Every two years a Pap smears and Physician Performed Breast Exam
- Do your own monthly Breast Exam, every 1st or 15th of the month do a Comprehensive Self Breast Exam
- Make sure, unless you want to become pregnant that you use a meaningful form of Birth Control if you are still a perimenopausal women (that is your periods have not stopped)
- Get yearly Skin Cancer Checks by your doctor or a dermatologist
- If you have any symptoms or medical problems such as a lump, pain, unexpected weight loss, visual changes or headaches get help immediately, do not wait or put off seeing or talking to your doctor.